It's an advantage for anyone who knows where he should fit in the work industry. If you know where your are best at and where you're not, you can be sure to have landed at the most suitable job you wanted. And if you want to become a medical transcriptionist in the future. You need to know if it will suit you, your personality, and lifestyle.
The best way of knowing it is by looking at your strengths and weaknesses. But for now, we'll discuss more on the strengths of what an ideal future medical transcription student has.
1. If you're a sedentary person. Because an MT's work is always done in a stationary work desk. You don't go anywhere at anyplace. You just work at your desk.
2. If you're handicapped. Obviously you cant go anywhere if you're blind or crippled. In medical transcription there's always room for you.
3. If you're an introvert. Knowing that you are an introvert, means you are qualified to this work because in the profession, you don't have to interact with other people, you don't have to listen and get along with annoying officemates, you don't have to stuff yourself in a room full of noisy, busybody people,it's just you and your computer and nothing else.
4. If you're up for a challenge. Its not easy to work as a medical transcriptionist, that I can say. But it can also be a challenge for anyone who is up for the extreme.
5. If you're looking for more money. Well, it's obvious. Medical transcriptionists have high pay, because how performance sets your salary. The more you finish transcribing, the more you'll get paid. IF you're an offshore or outsourced medical transcriptionist. What's $1 for them is 10 times the price for us.
6. If you're a work-a-holic. If you want to work and work and work, then medical transcription is for you because in here you can work even 24 hours a day (if you can).
All the other qualifications such as speed, accuracy, excellent english grammar, memory, and certification can be acquired after you have known if you are PRE-Qualified in the first place.
I'm not saying, if you have nothing of the above, you're already not suited to the job. It's just that they are more suited for this type of job. But i think everyone is capable of being a medical transcriptionist.